Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tiny Hands

Through the challenges and suffering we have been faced with over the past month we also decided to officially open our own chiropractic office. Yes, at this point I think we have gone crazy. We have been struggling to design the perfect logo for our new practice and have gone through about 10-12 different designs. All good but none perfect. Ugh, will we ever get this small step marked off the to-do list?

Completely unrelated to our new business and logo design challenge I was faced with another challenge this afternoon. Emerald Hills, the cemetery and funeral home, called today and said Elijah's prints were ready to be picked up and I could come in today. With my stomach in knots I walked through the doors of the funeral home and immediately got a lump in my throat. A breakdown was right around the corner. Luckily, so was the funeral director with Elijah's prints in her hand. She was waiting on me - she knew I didn't want to have to stay in that building where I held my son for the last time any longer than necessary.

I knew what I had just picked up and I wanted to see Elijah's tiny hands and feet on those pages but at the same time I couldn't look. I couldn't stand to see only prints. Sweet, perfect, prints of tiny hands and feet I used to hold in my hands and kiss. Unbearable. How do I not have the real thing in my hands right now? How is Elijah gone? How do I only have prints?

I opened the paper, saw two beautiful hands and placed mine over them. The tears poured down my face and onto my shirt. Panic crossed me as I thought the tears may have dropped on the prints. When I looked down to check the integrity of the inked handprints of Elijah, it hit me. I held the perfect logo for our business in my hands. Elijah's hand.


I rushed home and immediately put together a draft of the design I had in mind. That draft was also the final design. Now, each day at home and in our office, Elijah will be with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment