Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday, Elijah!

So I've been thinking of what to say and how to say it for a few weeks now. I finally figured it out, thanks to a sweet momma that messaged me this afternoon. Today on Elijah's first birthday, I'm asking you to do more than simply read this post and watch the video. As a birthday gift to Elijah, I'm asking you to do more with your kids. Do more with your family. Do more with your time. Do more with the gifts God has given you. Do more with your life. Even if it's only for the rest of the week, only for this evening, only for an hour, DO MORE of what matters and LESS of what doesn't. Shut down your computer and every "i" thing you own, turn off your television - I promise e-mails can wait until tomorrow morning. Candy Crush, Pinterest, Instagram and every social media site will still be functioning even if you don't check on it. You will be able to see your favorite show at a later date. In the big picture of life these things don't mean much at all. If you were to leave this earth tomorrow, those activities and tasks wouldn't miss you. Your family would. Those time wastes wouldn't help you build a case at the gates of Heaven.

Today as a gift to my sweet Elijah and to all of your precious children, no matter how young or old, GIVE THEM YOUR TIME. It's what they will want when you're gone and what you would pray for more of if they ever came face to face with Jesus before you did. Please take the time to not only hear but to listen to your children, talk to them, teach them, to hug them, to kiss them, to make them laugh, to read one more story, play pretend and act like a total fool. This is how cherished memories are made!
Love your children when they are sweet and love them just the same when they are rotten. Love playing with them and love cleaning up their messes. Love that you were blessed with the task, no matter how difficult, tiring or heartbreaking it may be, of being their parent. Each child, each day, each blessing and each heartbreak is a gift from the Lord and is to be cherished.

Words can't express how thankful I am that God picked Joey and I to be Elijah's mommy and daddy. I'm beyond thankful for the time we were given with him. We lack God's eternal wisdom so it is difficult to wrap our heads around why that time was so short, but that short amount of time sure was beautiful. It's all our reality that our family and our children do not belong to us - they are God's. He has been generous enough to loan them to us for a short time with the understanding that one day we will have to let them fly home, for they were never ours. Love them wildly while they are here.

Happy Birthday, my sweet Elijah. I can't possibly imagine the celebration that has been going on in Heaven for you today! What joy! One day soon we will be together on your birthday and for all of eternity and I can't wait to see your beautiful smile. I love you to Heaven and back, little boy!
Thank you to Ryan Coffey for putting together this precious video.

Elijah Thomas Colopy - Remembered from Michelle Colopy on Vimeo.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment